We are currently recruiting a Legal Counsel (m/f/x), to increase our legal department. This person will be based in Antwerp as part of our Central Services team. The Central Services team is located in the Netherlands, Belgium, Germany and the United Kingdom and consists of approximately 20 specialists who are responsible for the reporting, accounting, legal, tax, investor relations, HR and information management functions of the Waterland group.
The Legal Counsel will:
• Provide legal support to Waterland team members in Belgium (legal structuring, governance and compliance, labour law).
• Draft, review and benchmarking of transaction documentation (SPA, SHA etc.)
• Draft, review and administration of Non-Disclosure Agreements, Non-Reliance Letters, Industry Expert agreements and insurance policies.
• Manage relationships with legal and notarial advisors.
• Evaluate from a fund perspective and the perspective of the regulated fund manager the different risk factors regarding business decisions and operations when providing internal advice.
• Monitor compliance with group policies and laws and regulations (including AML/KYC and anti-bribery and corruption).
• Act as portfolio liaison: information sharing and sounding board towards portfolio companies with regard to legal topics.
• Assist with portfolio management on legal matters, including contract review.
• Keep relevant databases and overviews up to date.
• Upload for electronic signatures via DocuSign and Legisway, taking into account the Signing Protocol.
The Legal Counsel will report to the Managing Partner (based in Antwerp) and the General Counsel (based in the Netherlands).
The role is highly varied and involves working in a supportive, dynamic team. The projects you could work on offer continuous learning, increase your knowledge of the PE industry, and support you in growing your future career with us.
We are seeking candidates (m/f/x) who can meet the following requirements:
• minimum 5 years’ experience in a legal role in a business environment, including a law firm or professional services environment.
• Excellent knowledge and understanding of corporate law and procedures. Knowledge of labour law is a surplus.
• Comprehension of the influences of the external and regulatory environment of a private equity firm would be an asset.
• High degree of professional ethics and integrity.
• Sound judgement and ability to analyse situations and information.
• Outstanding communication skills.
• Profound knowledge of Dutch and English.
• Master’s degree in law.
A down-to-earth and open team player, having good communication and conviction skills, decisiveness, a creative yet pragmatic attitude, initiative-driven, curious and passionate.
Well-organised, pro-active, detail-oriented, ability to multi-task and work to tight deadlines. Work in a consistent manner with software tools.
Taking responsibility for tasks at hand. Ability to apply strong theoretical knowledge on practical situations, taking the company risk profile and goals into account.
A full-time employment contract. The role will be based in our Antwerp office.
We commit ourselves to encouraging true team spirit and creating an inclusive and dynamic working environment in which each team member can pursue the knowledge needed to boost their career.
Work-life integration and hybrid working are important to us.
Waterland is an independent private equity investment group that supports entrepreneurs in realising their growth ambitions. With substantial financial resources and committed industry expertise, Waterland enables its portfolio companies to achieve accelerated growth both organically and through acquisitions. Waterland is an active investor in the financial, strategic and operational sense.
In the current dynamic business environment with an increasing number of mergers and acquisitions, Waterland is a partner that provides entrepreneurs with a powerful position in the increasingly competitive international arena. Since the start in 1999, the firm has made investments in more than 800 companies. Waterland currently manages more than €9 billion of investor commitments.
Investments are made in markets with attractive characteristics for a consolidation strategy: consistent growth, sufficient size, sustainable profitability, fragmentation and (indication of) consolidation. Waterland focusses on industries that are undergoing change as a consequence of one or more of the following trends: sustainability, outsourcing and digitalisation, ageing population, and leisure and luxury.
Waterland employs 140 professionals. Our teams are based in the Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, United Kingdom, Ireland, Poland, France, Spain, Switzerland, and Denmark and operate across Europe.
Interested candidates are requested to e-mail their resume to email@example.com. For more information, please contact Wouter Van Linden on telephone number: +32 (0) 479 809 443.